Airline And Aviation News Here

- 26/4/2004 19:36
humvee N° messaggi: 40 - Iscritto da: 04/3/2004
This is a board Ive created for those interested as I am, in anything that flies, or that is related to flightt.

From flight food, entertainment to engines.

Please add anything you think is relevant.

Thanks.
Lista Commenti
55 Commenti
1 di 55 - 26/4/2004 19:36
Continental--Copa--Avianca

Continental Airlines have made an offer for Colombia's 'Avianca' and will be a great addition to Continentals exising Latin Ameician routes. Copa Airlines are Continentals Panama partner, but I feel Continental are going to be one of the strongest carriers to survive.

Avianca has 300 flights a day, including to Madrid and New York and controls most of Colombia's market. Its only because no one else wants to touch any Colombian carrier business that Continental has been able to pull this off.

Continental will soon take the extra 2% of Copa and own it.

Good prospects.
2 di 55 - 01/5/2004 19:20
tycoontony N° messaggi: 514 - Iscritto da: 17/3/2004
Air baltic, the flagship carrier of Latvia is the lowest cost airline in europe and the eastern europes only profitable one. europe is supposedly now the biggest trading block in the world. started 1995 has some very profitable routes to scandinavia and other eastern european countries, but also have berlin, brussels and london flights.

Latvian government has 52% and maybe planning to dispose of some of it controlling stake. Scandinavian airline system (SAS) owns 48%

Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS), formed in 1946, is a consortium of the three national airlines (SAS Danmark A/S, SAS Norge ASA, and SAS Sverige AB) that offers the Scandinavian market a broad and profitable range of airline services, particularly business travel. Last year, SAS flew more than 23 million passengers to 92 destinations in 31 countries. SAS has more than 343,400 flights each year. SAS uses a global traffic system that provides travelers with convenient and efficient connections between continents, countries, and towns, and enables SAS to continue to be successful in an increasingly competitive market.
3 di 55 - 04/5/2004 15:42
makersmark N° messaggi: 32 - Iscritto da: 17/3/2004
Delta chief financial officier, Michele Burns is leaving at the end of the month, she's the third senior exec to leave in the past 4 months. Maybe good for the stock price mid term?
4 di 55 - 10/5/2004 13:35
makersmark N° messaggi: 32 - Iscritto da: 17/3/2004
Delta in firehouse sale of flights seats. Big shake downs over due in the industry.
5 di 55 - 15/5/2004 16:25
Lufthansa has launched in flight wi-fi broadband. The whole 74 plane fleet will be tooled up by next year. This will smash the competition. This is the hottest of news for the lucative business traveller. LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.
6 di 55 - 15/5/2004 18:29
sharpshooters N° messaggi: 24 - Iscritto da: 17/3/2004
I thought i'd lost this board, why do they disappear and there are no achives. I dont visit every day and hate to lose something I want to add to.

These are Low-fare airlines to watch:

JETBLUE, AMERICA WEST, FRONTIER, ATA.

The 'big six' had better watch out for these up and comers.
7 di 55 - 17/5/2004 17:29
tackers N° messaggi: 88 - Iscritto da: 17/3/2004
After 9/11 congress granted a $15b bail out for the industry. All it has done is postpone the inevitable crisis, which will surely be after the pres.election. Some big shorting opportunities in this sector.
8 di 55 - 20/5/2004 19:29
vwbeetle N° messaggi: 50 - Iscritto da: 19/3/2004
Delta must be near the brink to threaten chpt 11 protection in the attempt to cut pilots pay. The trouble with pilots they are all 'divas'.
9 di 55 - 20/5/2004 20:01
sedna N° messaggi: 79 - Iscritto da: 22/3/2004
europe want to end existing air packs with the US. another attack on our markets. they know our industry is hurting and are going in for the kill.

we should make it that if they want to come the states they have to fly on an american airline.
10 di 55 - 25/5/2004 20:12
sedna N° messaggi: 79 - Iscritto da: 22/3/2004
Independence Air new air line sure to take market share
11 di 55 - 26/5/2004 09:20
monstromartin N° messaggi: 37 - Iscritto da: 17/3/2004
US airlines posted 10%increase in revenue mainly from international traffic. RASM up 9.7%.

As for Indepeneence, they are a new low fare carrier from DC starting on June 16th. Its a huge start, the largest in history a direct competitior against US Airlines using small jets. Independence used to be a regional airline feeding United's flights. Continental must be very concerned as they run a lot of small jet internal flights, could be the casulty in 18 months.

By sept Ind. Air is looking to make 300 daily departures a day. Fares from $179 to $39 one way. Don't like one way prices, they give a false impression, people usually have to come back after all.

Ind. Air have 87 regional jets with 50 seats each. This is the key point. Small but full is far better than large and 80% full. Also you have less cabin crew and the small size gives the impression of exclusivity.

This could be a survivor they have $350 for cash burn, but i would expect they won't need it and will turn a profit quicker than expected.

Most airline are on the brinks of financial protection from their creditors, when one goes three or four could all file for protection together forcing a long over due consolidation. If Ind. Air can stay just that (Independent) and make the brand 'small and beautiful'with reasonable, but not tacky cheap, the company will soar.
12 di 55 - 27/5/2004 10:37
showtime N° messaggi: 27 - Iscritto da: 20/5/2004
Everywhere i look now i seem to see airline news, what a huge sector Ive overlooked. here are 3 items from one day, Air Arabia a budget carrier plans to flights to india when it gets the authorisation. The airline started operating at the end of last october and flys to Beirut, Damascus, Colombo, Tehran, looks like a niche market if ive ever seen one. Don't know if it listed anywhere, would be interest. Air Canada which is apparently insolvent cant't reach agreement with a union over cost cutting, what a surprise. Why don't they pay the union money in way of the loss of union membership from redunacys's. Say 20 years subs or the equivalent full career union membership. Thats all the union is bothered about, the loss of its customers, the union member. Then there is EL AL which is back in profit to $4.5m against a loss of $35.5m after cost cutting, rev, surged by 33%.

The more I read about the industry the more it seems most carriers are broke, going broke, or bucking the trend momententarily before they return to the normal 'nearly broke' market model.

Ive coming to the conclusion they survive not so much because they are the national airlines etc, but because they are 'cash cows' and the banks need the turnover or velocity of that money to basically pay the saleries and overhead of the banking operation. The interest on loans is the banks profit. This would account for why banks keep extending credit and don't seem to hardly ever forclose on very cash generative businesses.

In a way you can see the same relationship in general cash retailing and certainly sport business with large fan bases. And sports business are nearly always highly geared, and on the brink. They even share the same prima donna stars, like airline have prima dona pilots and cabin crews, all uniformed up. Another similarity. Cash generative business have staff in a corperate uniform.

The banks are very needy for cash flow, never realised that before. Thanks for this thread.

13 di 55 - 28/5/2004 09:42
gumbos N° messaggi: 82 - Iscritto da: 17/3/2004
europes airbus to be banned by US from flying into the states, due to the artifical, anti-competitive state aid, that my predicition. great for boeing and the new 7E7. europes monti, the competition chief in europe gets his own back after blocking the GE and Honeywell deal. its pretty full on economic warfare with europe and we have only just seen the start of it.
14 di 55 - 29/5/2004 15:19
hulk hogan N° messaggi: 37 - Iscritto da: 04/3/2004
SouthWest is offering early retirement to almost all its employees all 31522 of them. Its a way of getting around the union problem. It will be interesting to see what proportion take it up. Suppose it depends on how generous the package is.

If only 1% take it up that 3152 off the pay roll, that makes a huge difference to the bottom line. Way to go and it allows the individual to decide their own fate. If anyone has the details of the retirement package on offer would like to hear abouit it.

If its a good deal, there could be as many as 3% opting for it which will propel SouthWest's share price north!
15 di 55 - 30/5/2004 17:32
pc4900074200 (premium) N° messaggi: 3 - Iscritto da: 22/8/2002
Customized Jets and Trainers are coming into their own. (JETS)

Thought you might like a look.

' target='window'>http://www.advfn.com/cmn/fbb/thread.php3?id=2929818

pc

UK ADVFN.

16 di 55 - 31/5/2004 13:30
plicker N° messaggi: 71 - Iscritto da: 19/3/2004
Lufthansa are offering broadband on flights, that will take premium business class travellers immediately. The airline has gravitas that travellers don't forget and Lufthansa is selling 'Chef Solutions' catering division to Questor private equity group for undisclosed amount, probably one euro as last year Lufthansa wrote off $960 because of it. Which is a huge amount. Lufthansa is seeking to sell off its diversified interest and concentrate on avaition. They are re-investing 4.7bn euros back into the avaition part of the business. I think they will be europes biggest player very soon.
17 di 55 - 08/6/2004 17:55
Lufthansa AG selling units, having a sucessful rights issue, buying 15 new super size Airbus A380, got new broadband inflight service, they should soon be europes No1. One for the the mid term?
18 di 55 - 09/6/2004 15:27
tonman N° messaggi: 51 - Iscritto da: 19/3/2004
Air New Zealand buying new Boeing jets big time.
19 di 55 - 15/6/2004 10:25
Swiss Air has left the One World air alliance which will hit american airlines and brit air especially as Swiss Air are tying up with Lufthansa, (broadband lufthansa).

Who cares about seat size if youve got broadband for your entire flight, I would rather sit on my backside, pearch on a bar stool with tablet table or even stand the entire flight if I had broadband.

That should please airlines, rip out the seat and strap people to upright stools with 'in stool' collapsable computer tables. You could probably get 30% more people on the flight.
20 di 55 - 15/6/2004 18:37
airsteve N° messaggi: 72 - Iscritto da: 20/5/2004
China eatern Airlines is buying 20 Airbus A330 jets, its worth 2 billion euros and has an option for another 10. Boeing is losing this.
55 Commenti

Accedendo ai servizi offerti da ADVFN, ne si accettano le condizioni generali Termini & Condizioni

ADVFN Network